5.06.2013

Awkwafina "My Vag" Music Video


Let's listen to Awkwafina & her new music video "My Vag"

NYMag The Cut asks "Can an Asian Woman Be Taken Seriously in Rap?"
"Lum grew up in from Forest Hills, Queens, of Chinese and Korean descent. She attended LaGuardia High School where she studied music, focusing on the trumpet (“I played 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' at the audition, and they let me in,” she smiles), which she still picks up every now and then. From there, she went to SUNY Albany, where she majored in Women’s Studies. Not surprisingly, this has changed her view of the rap game. “If women dabble in rap but they’re not rappers, to get from dabbling to doing it is really difficult, confidence-wise,” she says. “There’s a degree of having to prove yourself, also, and that’s really hard: I’m not trying to ruin your institution, I’m trying to be a part of it.”
But Awkwafina’s not just in the rap minority as a female, she’s also in it as an Asian female. She says there aren’t enough similar women in creative fields like hers. “The Asian stereotype is real. The whole guilt trip, like we came on a dinghy from Hong Kong to give you a better life, we work at a friggin’ sock store, and we want you to become a doctor so you can take care of us for the rest of your life.” Her father wishes she would reconsider her career choice. “He wants me to be like a sonogram technician or a nurse or something,” she says, nodding, as if that sounds like her own version of failure."
Open discussion, what do you think of the song, the music video and the interview? 


Also: I want to try her "Mayor Bloomberg (Giant Margaritas)" love all the toppings. Check the video at 2:05 for more comments on gender.

No comments:

Post a Comment